The Z97-PRO (Wi-Fi AC) ATX Desktop Motherboard from ASUS supports 4th and 5th generation Intel processors in the LGA1150 socket to deliver CPU power and integrated graphics. The GPU provides 4K video streams to a display via the DisplayPort or HDMI port. When more graphics power is needed, this motherboard offers three PCI Express x16 slots for supporting multiple dedicated graphics cards in either SLI or CrossFireX configurations. This motherboard is equipped for accepting up to four RAM modules totalling up to 32GB for running multiple programmes at the same time. It provides M.2 and SATA Express connections to deliver data transfer speeds up to 10 Gb/s for keeping up with high performance SSDs.
The Z97-PRO motherboard comes with six SATA III connectors for connecting to optical and storage drives. To connect to other peripherals such as mice, keyboards, printers, and more, the motherboard is built with four USB 3.0 and two USB 2.0 ports. It also comes with four PCI Express 2.0 x1 slots for adding additional hardware such as FireWire, parallel, and serial ports. The built-in Realtek Audio ALC1150 features Crystal Sound 2 technology using Japanese-made capacitors and an amplifier to provide clarity and fidelity when listening to music or movies. For networking needs, the motherboard provides an Intel Gigabit LAN controller, which reduces the lag up to 1.45 times with Turbo LAN. This motherboard is also built with 802.11ac and a dual band antenna to access networks wirelessly. When connected via RJ45 LAN, ASUS includes software that you can turn the Wi-Fi into a hotspot, which connects to Wi-Fi compatible devices using 802.11a/b/g/n. Included with the Z97-PRO (Wi-Fi AC) motherboard to help you build your system are a support DVD, SATA cables, Q-connector, Q-Shield, SLI bridge, and an antenna.
- The mouse-controlled graphical UEFI BIOS features more intuitive functions to quickly take you to your favourite BIOS pages and frequently accessed settings through custom shortcuts. You can even write quick notes in-BIOS for future reference, view an activity log of setting changes and modifications, and rename SATA ports.
EZ Mode * Fast Clock Adjustment: Change the time and date in EZ Mode using the mouse. * EZ XMP Settings: Improve DRAM performance. * Fan Profile: Detailed fan controls are offered in EZ Mode, so you can switch fan profiles for quick cooling and noise-level supervision Information: Each SATA port has details displayed, so you can easily recognise devices.
Advanced Mode * Shortcut: Customise your own shortcut log by pressing F4 or right clicking to create shortcuts to frequently-used settings. * Quick Note: Create and save notes within the BIOS to help remember important settings and save time on trial and error. * Last Modified Log: Track last change and save preferred profiles onto a USB drive. * SATA Port Renaming: Rename the SATA ports for easy identification.
RAM Overclocking Design
- The T-Topology design delivers full load RAM overclocking capability while minimising the coupling noise and signal reflection effect. The memory channels are equidistant to the CPU, providing balanced control over multiple memory modules and enhanced overall memory compatibility.
SATA Express Support
- SATA Express offers up to 10 Gb/s data-transfer speeds from two PCIE 2.0 lanes. This provides support for devices that require higher bandwidth requests. Some SSDs consume up to 550 MB/s, which is close to saturation point for SATA III 6 Gb/s connections. The SATA Express port is backwards compatible, which can support up to two SATA drives.
- With two native PCI Express 2.0 bandwidth, M.2 supports up to 10Gb/s data-transfer speeds. It is ideal for an operating system drive, making your whole PC work that much faster. It supports Intel Rapid Storage Technology to ensure even faster access to data, refresh applications automatically and awake from sleep in just seconds.
Thunderbolt 2 Ready
- With the optional ASUS ThunderboltEX II series add-on card, you can enjoy bi-directional transfer speeds up to 20 Gb/s, which is four times faster than USB 3.0. This card delivers 4K/UHD content to displays while using bandwidth hungry storage devices at the same time.
- The ASUS Turbo App is an intuitive tuning panel to overclock your CPU, prioritise network data, and optimise audio settings.
Crystal Sound 2
- This collection of features delivers audio clarity and fidelity for gaming, chatting, movies, and music. The on-board audio is physically shielded that uses premium Japanese-made audio capacitors and operational amplifiers. Audio Shielding: Ensures precision analogue/digital separation and reduces multi-lateral interference. EMI Cover: Prevents electrical noise to affect the audio quality. Audio Amplifier: Enhances the sound quality for headphones and speakers. Unique De-pop Circuit: Reduces start-up popping noise to audio outputs. Premium Japanese-made Audio Capacitors: Provides warm, natural and immersive sound with clarity and fidelity. Special Layout Design: Separate layers for left and right channels to guard the quality of the sensitive audio signals.
- Reduces the lag up to 1.45x using cFosSpeed traffic-shaping technology and offers an intuitive user interface with Advanced Mode for tweaking the settings.
Intel Gigabit Ethernet
- Designed to reduce the processor's workload, the Gigabit Ethernet communicates directly with the CPUs and offers high TCP and UDP throughput.
Up to 2x Faster UDP Game-data Performance
- The Z97 provides up to two times faster game-data packet flow than competing gaming-LAN technologies.
- Offers a multi-GPU choice of either SLI or CrossFireX for increased graphics performance.
- Native support for 4K/UHD (ultra-high-definition) resolutions of up to 4096 x 2160 via HDMI or DisplayPort - that's four times the pixel count of 1080p (1920 x 1080).
Supports up to 3 Displays
- Connect up to three independent monitors at once using video outputs such as DisplayPort, Mini DisplayPort, HDMI, DVI, or VGA. Choose your outputs and set displays to either mirror mode or collage mode.
- This software application configures your PC into a private cloud, to stream multimedia content and access your files remotely. You may use the built-in Wake on WAN feature to save power when not in use, and remotely wake and control your PC using a smart device.
- Integrated into the motherboard are 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0. This allows you to link your desktop with smart devices to remote control your PC by using an app. 802.11ac provides speeds up to 867 Mb/s which is 3 times faster than 802.11n. With the included software, you can set up an 802.11a/b/g/n hotspot that allows other Wi-Fi devices to connect to the network or Internet, without needing an extra router. In addition, the bundled 2.4 GHz/5 GHz dual-band, two stream 2T2R antenna offers wide coverage. Cloud GO!: Software that synchronise files across ASUS WebStorage, Dropbox, and Google Drive accounts, without uploading and downloading to and from different accounts. Remote Desktop: Easily access and control your PC, anytime and anywhere. File Transfer: Sync files between your PCs and smart devices with just a click. Remote Keyboard & Mouse: Control media playback from your sofa.
- Share HD content, music, and photos from your PC to your Wi-Fi capable HDTV.
ASUS Compatibility and Customisation
- ASUS offers compatibility with more than 1,000 components and devices with this motherboard. They include Q-design features that simplify and speed up the PC building process with a Q-connector and Q-Shield. In addition, ASUS provides one USB BIOS port to update the motherboard's BIOS without a CPU installed. When all the components are installed, ASUS AI Suite 3 monitors and allows you to adjust the systems settings for extra performance.
Intel LGA1150 Core Processor Ready
- This motherboard supports Intel 4th and 5th Generation Core i7/i5/i3/Pentium/Celeron processors in the LGA1150 package, with iGPU, memory and PCI Express controllers integrated to support onboard graphics output with dedicated chipsets, 2-channel (4 DIMM) DDR3 memory and 16 PCI Express 3.0/2.0 lanes.
Intel Z97 Express Chipset
- The Intel Z97 Express Chipset is a single-chipset design that supports Intel LGA1150 4th and 5th Generation Core i7/Core i5/Core i3/Pentium/Celeron processors. It provides improved performance by utilising serial point-to-point links, allowing increased bandwidth and stability. Additionally, Z97 provides a maximum six USB 3.0 ports, six SATA III 6Gb/s ports and a 10Gb/s M.2 support for faster data retrieval. Moreover, the Intel Z97 Express Chipset also supports iGPU functions, letting you enjoy Intel integrated graphics performance.
Intel Smart Response Technology SSD speed with HDD capacity
- Uses an installed fast SSD (min 18.6GB available capacity required) as a cache for frequently-accessed data. Key benefits include reduced load and wait times, and lower power consumption through the elimination of unnecessary hard drive spin. This technology combines SSD performance with hard drive capacity, operating up to 6X faster than a hard drive-only system.
Intel Smart Connect Technology
- Your computer can receive web updates with fresh content for selected applications, even when the system is in sleep mode. This means less time waiting for applications to update and sync with the cloud, leading to a more efficient computing experience.
Intel Rapid Start Technology
- Allows your computer to quickly resume from a low-power hibernate state in seconds. Saving your system memory to the designated SSD, it provides your computer a faster wake-up response time, while still keeping energy use low.
|CPU Support||5th / 4th Generation Core i7 / i5 / i3 / Pentium / Celeron processors |
Supports Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
|BIOS||64 Mb Flash ROM |
UEFI AMI BIOS
SM BIOS 2.8
ASUS EZ Flash 2
CrashFree BIOS 3
F11 EZ Tuning Wizard
F6 Qfan Control
F3 My Favourites
Last Modified Log
F12 PrintScreen function
F3 Shortcut functions
ASUS DRAM SPD (Serial Presence Detect) memory information
|Manageability||WfM 2.0 |
WOL by PME
|Memory||RAM Slots |
4 x DIMM
3200 (O.C.)/3100 (O.C.)/3000 (O.C.)/2933 (O.C.)/2800 (O.C.)/2666 (O.C.)/2600 (O.C.)/2400 (O.C.)/2200 (O.C.)/2133 (O.C.)/1866 (O.C.)/1600/1333 MHz DDR3
Dual channel memory architecture
Supports non-ECC, un-buffered memory
Supports Intel Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
|Graphics||Integrated Graphics Processor- Intel HD Graphics support |
Multi-VGA output support: HDMI/DVI-D/RGB/DisplayPort ports
* Supports HDMI with max. resolution 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz / 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz
* Supports DVI-D with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
* Supports RGB with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
* Supports DisplayPort with max. resolution 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz / 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz
Maximum shared memory of 512 MB
Supports Intel InTru 3D, Quick Sync Video, Clear Video HD Technology, Insider
Supports up to 3 displays simultaneously
DP 1.2 Multi-Stream Transport compliant, supports DP 1.2 monitor daisy chain up to 3 displays
|Multi-GPU Support||Supports NVIDIA Quad-GPU SLI Technology |
Supports AMD 3-Way CrossFireX Technology
|Expansion Slots||2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (single x16, dual at x8/x8) |
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode)
4 x PCIe x1
|Storage||Intel Z97 chipset |
1 x SATA Express port, compatible with 2 x SATA III 6 Gb/s ports
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2260/2280 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE mode)
4 x SATA III 6 Gb/s ports, gray
Supports Raid 0, 1, 5, 10 Supports Intel Smart Response Technology, Intel Rapid Start Technology, Intel Smart Connect Technology
ASMedia ASM1061 controller
2 x SATA III 6 Gb/s ports, black
|Audio||Realtek ALC1150 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC featuring Crystal Sound 2 |
Supports: Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
High quality 112 dB SNR stereo playback output and 104 dB SNR recording input
|LAN||Intel I218V, Dual interconnect between the Integrated Media Access Controller (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) |
Gigabit Intel LAN Connection- 802.3az Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE) appliance
|Wireless Data Network||Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac |
Supports dual band frequency 2.4/5 GHz
Support ASUS Wi-Fi Go! Utility
|USB Ports||Intel Z97 chipset |
6 x USB 3.0/2.0 ports (2 at back panel, blue, 4 at mid-board)
6 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports (2 at back panel, 4 at mid-board)
ASMedia USB 3.0 controller
2 x USB ports (2 at back panel, blue)
|Internal I/O Connectors||2 x USB 3.0 connectors supports an additional 4 USB 3.0 ports (19-pin) |
2 x USB 2.0 connectors support an additional 4 USB 2.0 ports
1 x SATA Express connector: black, compatible with 2 x SATA III 6 Gb/s ports
1 x M.2 Socket 3 for M Key, type 2260/2280 devices
1 x TPM header
6 x SATA III 6 Gb/s connectors
1 x CPU Fan connector (4-pin)
1 x CPU OPT Fan connector (4-pin)
4 x Chassis Fan connectors (4-pin)
1 x S/PDIF out header
1 x Thunderbolt header
1 x 24-pin EATX Power connector
1 x 8-pin ATX 12 V Power connector
1 x EZ XMP switch
1 x Front panel audio connector (AAFP)
1 x System panel (Q-Connector)
1 x DRCT header
1 x MemOK! button
1 x TPU switch
1 x EPU switch
1 x Power-on button
1 x Clear CMOS button
1 x USB BIOS Flashback button
|Back Panel I/O Ports||1 x PS/2 keyboard/mouse combo port |
1 x DVI-D
1 x D-Sub
1 x DisplayPort
1 x HDMI
1 x LAN (RJ45) port
4 x USB 3.0 (blue)
2 x USB 2.0
1 x Optical S/PDIF out
6 x Audio jacks
1 x ASUS Wi-Fi GO! module (Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac and Bluetooth v4.0)
|Operating System Support||Windows 8.1 |
|Dimensions||12.0 x 9.6" / 30.5 x 24.4 cm|