The ADI-8 DS Broadcast from RME is an eight-channel, analog-to-digital (A/D) and digital-to-analog (D/A) converter, housed in a single space, rack-mount enclosure. It utilizes 24-bit converters using 128x over-sampling, and operates at sampling frequencies up to 96KHz on its internal clock. Apart from conversion, the unit also functions as a digital format converter or distribution device to ADAT and TDIF based equipment.
The input signal path to the A/D converter is totally balanced. Each analog input has a "Signal Ok" and "Over" LED, so levels and overload are easy to check, allowing the user to maintain full dynamic range. Front panel switches select the unit's operating levels. The ADI-8 DS Broadcast provides an additional 6dB of input and output gain required for broadcast applications.
The converter functions at internal sample rates of 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96KHz, while RME's Intelligent Clock Control technology (ICC) enables flexible operation with the internal clock, external word clock or the digital input signals. The unit also provides Sample Split on the ADAT connectors which is S/MUX compatible and provides the ability to transmit higher sample rates using the ADAT optical protocol.
The digital section of the unit includes two other functions. Bit Split allows the user to split a single 24-bit signal into two 16-bit outputs, while Bit Combine will put the split signals back to the original full 24-bit signal. Copy Mode routes the digital input to both the ADAT and TDIF digital outputs.
- Eight-channel analog to digital converter with a completely symmetrical and DC-coupled audio path
- Eight-channel digital to analog converter, DC-coupled audio path with balanced output
- ADAT 24-bit optical inputs, with RME's Bitclock PLL for sample accurate lock. Optical outputs fully compatible with all ADAT optical inputs and S/MUX compatible
- TDIF-1 24-bit interface with low jitter PLL, emphasis support and Tascam DA-88 compatible
- Bit Split/Combine function allows for recording 24-bit data onto 16-bit machines (requires two 16-bit tracks for each 24-bit single source)
- Bit Split/Combine, Copy Mode for ADAT and TDIF formats usable in all combinations
- Digital patchbay operation, allows the user to copy, duplicate and distribute the digital input signals
- Automatic storage of all settings
- Additional 6dB input/output gain for use in broadcast applications
8 x Analog I/O
2 x ADAT I/O
1 x TDIF-I/O
1 x Word Clock I/O
Samplerate: up to 96 kH
ADC: 24-bit, 128x oversampling
DAC: 24-bit, 128x oversampling
Sample Rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96kHz (Internal)
27KHz to 57KHz (Resolved to Wordclock input), 33KHz to 57KHz (Resolved to ADAT clock)
Analog In: 8 x 1/4" TRS phone, 25 pin D-sub connector
Analog Outputs: 8 x 1/4" TRS phone, 25 pin D-sub connector
Digital Input: 2 x ADAT optical, 2 x TDIF-1 (shared with output)
Digital Output: 2 x ADAT optical, 2 x TDIF-1 (shared with input)
Word Clock: BNC I/O
Dynamic Range: <112dB
Frequency Response: 5Hz to 21.5KHz, -0.1dB (A/D to D/A)
THD + N: <-102dB (<0.0008%)
Dimensions (WxDxH): 19 x 7.88 x 1.75" (483 x 200 x 45mm)
Weight: 4.4 lbs (2kg)
Specialties: Choice of input levels selectable on the front panel