Packing a versatile feature-set in a sleek and portable body, the EOS 800D DSLR from Canon offers advanced imaging capabilities along with a convenient range of controls and connectivity. Utilising a 24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC 7 image processor, the 800D is able to capture high-resolution stills and video with an expanded sensitivity range of ISO 100-51200 to suit working in a wide variety of lighting conditions. The sensor and processor combination also avails 6 fps continuous shooting for working with moving subjects. Benefitting the imaging attributes, the sensor's design also facilitates Dual Pixel CMOS AF, which uses phase-detection autofocus for quick, accurate, and smooth focusing performance when recording movies or shooting stills in live view. When shooting stills using the optical viewfinder, a 45-point all cross-type phase-detection system is used for quick and accurate focusing in a variety of shooting scenarios.
In regard to the physical design, a large 3.0" 1.04m-dot touchscreen LCD is featured for intuitive settings control and live view monitoring, and it uses a vari-angle design to permit easier viewing from high and low working angles. Additionally, built-in Wi-Fi with NFC is available for quick and convenient pairing with a smartphone or tablet for wireless image sharing, and Bluetooth is also featured for image sharing to and remote camera control from a mobile device.
An STM stepping focus motor is also integrated into the lens' design to provide smooth, quiet, and fast focusing performance that is ideally-suited to video applications as well as tracking moving subjects. The rear focusing system, high-speed CPU, and an enhanced AF algorithm also contribute to quickened overall AF speeds. Full-time manual focus is also supported to permit fine-tuning of focus even while working in AF modes. Additionally, the front lens section does not rotate during focusing to better facilitate the use of polarising filters.
The optical construction of the lens employs one ultra-low dispersion glass element to help reduce chromatic aberrations and distortion throughout the zoom range while also enhancing contrast and clarity. Optimised lens coatings have also been applied to ensure colour fidelity by countering the effects of lens flare and ghosting.
24.2MP APS-C CMOS Sensor and DIGIC 7 Image Processor
Both a 24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC 7 image processor are used to deliver high sensitivity and fast camera performance to suit both stills and video applications. A flexible native ISO 100-25600 range, which can be extended to ISO 51200, suits working in a variety of lighting conditions, and the processing capabilities minimise noise for notable clarity. The processor also contributes to a fast 6 fps continuous shooting rate for photographing fast-moving subjects.
45-Point All Cross-Type AF and Dual Pixel CMOS AF Systems
Benefitting stills shooting with the optical viewfinder, a wide-area 45-point all cross-type phase-detection autofocus system provides quick and precise focusing in difficult lighting conditions. The cross-type design of the sensors affords greater accuracy in low-contrast and mixed lighting conditions, and the broad coverage of the 45 sensors is ideal for tracking and maintaining focus on moving subjects.
When recording video or shooting in live view, a Dual Pixel CMOS AF system is employed that offers smooth and fast focusing performance in a similar manner to how a camcorder acquires focus. This system integrates two separate photodiodes within each pixel to provide a broad and dense network of phase-detection gathering elements across a majority of the image sensor to reduce focus hunting for faster, more direct control of focus placement. When working with still imagery, this focusing system works to acquire focus quickly and accurately, making it ideally suited to shooting and tracking moving subjects so that critical focus is attained with each shot. When shooting video, a Movie Servo AF mode offers smooth and natural focusing when changing from different subjects or different distances within the scene, as well as the ability to specify tracking sensitivity, AF speed, and Face Tracking priority. Benefited by the Touch AF system, rack focus is possible simply by touching elements within the scene on the touchscreen in order to change focus in an intuitive manner. Subject tracking in movies is also heightened due to the Dual Pixel CMOS AF system's ability to recognise subjects and maintain focus when working within changing or cluttered scenery.
Full HD 1080p Video Recording
In addition to stills recording, the 800D also supports Full HD 1080p video recording at up to 60 fps in the MP4 format with IPB compression, or 30 fps in the MOV format with ALL-I compression when making in-camera time-lapse movies. Video recording is benefitted by the inclusion of Dual Pixel CMOS AF and the Movie Servo AF focusing functions, as well as the touchscreen design of the LCD monitor for intuitive control. Movie Electronic IS is also featured to minimise the appearance of camera shake across five axes for smoother, steadier recording when shooting handheld. Additionally, an external microphone jack is incorporated in the body design for greater control over your recorded sound. Unique to most video recording systems, the 800D also features an HDR Movie mode that can be used to achieve greater highlight and shadow detail when recording in high contrast scenarios. This mode captures two HD frames at different exposures, one normal and one underexposed, in short succession at up to 60 fps and then composites them during playback at 30 fps to create a movie with a longer-appearing dynamic range.
Body Design and Built-In Wi-Fi
- Large 3.0" 1.04m-dot touchscreen LCD provides an intuitive method for controlling focusing points, navigating menus, and reviewing imagery. This screen also features a vari-angle design to better enable working from high and low angles.
- Optical pentamirror viewfinder serves a clear means for eye-level shooting.
- Built-in Wi-Fi with NFC allows for easy wireless sharing of both photos and movies to a linked mobile device.
- Bluetooth permits linking a smartphone or tablet for quick image sharing between devices as well as remote control capabilities.
- Included LP-E17 rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides approximately 820 shots per charge.
Other Camera Features
- A 7560-pixel RGB+IR metering sensor benefits both autofocus and exposure metering precision and enables Colour Tracking for more accurately detecting skin colours.
- Creative Filters can be applied to creatively refine the look of imagery in-camera, and include Art Bold, Water Painting, and Fisheye Effect for stills, as well as Dream, Old Movies, and Memory for video.
- A Feature Assistant user interface is available to highlight and guide use of specific camera modes and features.
- Picture Style modes: Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Fine Detail, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, and User-Defined settings.Language support: English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Romanian, Ukraine, Turkish, Arabic, Thai, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Korean, and Japanese.
- Long-reaching zoom lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length of 88-400mm, covering portrait-length to telephoto perspectives.
- Optical image stabilisation helps to minimise the appearance of camera shake by up to 3.5 shutter speed steps to benefit shooting handheld in dim lighting and with greater zoom magnifications.
- The STM stepping focus motor produces near-silent, smooth, and quick autofocus performance that is well-suited to video applications.
- One ultra-low dispersion element helps to reduce chromatic aberrations and distortion while also contributing to greater image sharpness, contrast, and clarity.
- Enhanced lens coatings minimise flare and ghosting in order to produce true colours with maintained contrast.
- A minimum focusing distance of 2.8' throughout the zoom range and a maximum magnification of 0.29x at the telephoto end enables working with close-up subject matter.
- A seven blade circular aperture helps to produce an aesthetic out-of-focus quality to benefit selective focus and shallow depth of field imagery.
Canon EOS 800D DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens
|Lens Mount||Canon EF
|Camera Format||APS-C (1.6x Crop Factor)|
|Pixels||Actual: 25.8 Megapixel
Effective: 24.2 Megapixel
|Max Resolution||24 MP: 6000 x 4000|
|Aspect Ratio||1:1, 3:2, 4:3, 16:9|
|Sensor Type / Size||CMOS, 22.3 x 14.9 mm|
|File Formats||Still Images: JPEG, RAW
Movies: H.264, MP4
|Dust Reduction System||Yes|
|Memory Card Type||SD
|Image Stabilisation||Digital, 5-Way|
|Focus Type||Auto & Manual|
|Focus Mode||Continuous-Servo AF (C), Manual Focus (M), Single-servo AF (S)|
|Autofocus Points||Phase Detection: 45 (45 Cross-Type)|
|Viewfinder Eye Point||19.00 mm|
|Viewfinder Magnification||Approx. 0.82x|
|Dioptre Adjustment||-3 to +1 m|
|Display Screen||3" Rear Touchscreen Swivel LCD (1,040,000)|
|ISO Sensitivity||Auto, 100-25600 (Extended Mode: 100-51200)|
|Shutter||30 - 1/4000 Second , Bulb Mode|
|Remote Control||RA-E3, TC-80N3, RS-60E3, BR-E1 (Optional)|
|Metering Method||Centre-Weighted Average Metering, Evaluative Metering, Partial Metering, Spot Metering|
|Exposure Modes||Modes: Aperture Priority, Manual, Programme, Shutter Priority
Metering Range: EV 1.0 - EV 20.0
Compensation: -5 EV to +5 EV (in 1/3 or 1/2 EV Steps)
|Continuous Shooting||Up to 6 fps at 24.2 MP for up to 190 frames in JPEG format
Up to 6 fps at 24.2 MP for up to 21 frames in raw format
Up to 3 fps at 24.2 MP for up to 190 frames in JPEG format
Up to 3 fps at 24.2 MP for up to 21 frames in raw format
|White Balance Modes||Auto, Cloudy, Custom, Daylight, Flash, Fluorescent (White), Shade, Tungsten|
|Max Sync Speed||1 / 200 Second|
|Flash Compensation||-2 EV to +2 EV (in 1/3 or 1/2 EV steps)|
|Dedicated Flash System||eTTL|
|External Flash Connection||Hot Shoe|
|Video Recording||Yes, NTSC/PAL|
|Video Format||1920 x 1080p at 59.94 fps (60 Mbps MP4 via H.264)
1920 x 1080p at 23.98, 29.97 fps (30 Mbps MP4 via H.264)
1920 x 1080p at 29.97 fps (12 Mbps MP4 via H.264)
1280 x 720p at 59.94 fps (26 Mbps MP4 via H.264)
1280 x 720p at 29.97 fps (4 Mbps MP4 via H.264)
640 x 480p at 29.97 fps (9 Mbps MP4 via H.264)
640 x 480p at 29.97 fps (3 Mbps MP4 via H.264)
1920 x 1080p at 29.97 fps (90 Mbps MOV via iFrame)
|Exposure Control||Auto: Shutter Speed, Aperture, ISO
Manual: Shutter Speed, Aperture, ISO
|ISO Sensitivity||Auto/Manual, 100 - 12800, Expandable to 25600|
|Exposure Compensation||-3 EV to +3 EV (in 1/3 or 1/2 EV steps)|
|Max Video Clip Length||1920 x 1080: 29 Minutes, 59 Seconds|
|Audio Recording||Built-In Mic: With Video (Stereo)
Optional External Mic: With Video (Stereo)
|Start-up Time||0.2 seconds|
|Shutter Lag||0.07 seconds|
|Self Timer||10 Seconds, 2 Seconds|
|Connectivity||1/8" Microphone, HDMI C (Mini), Mini-USB, USB 2.0|
|Battery||1 x LP-E17 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery Pack, 7.2 VDC, 1040 mAh|
|AC Power Adapter||ACK-E6N, ACK-E6 ()|
32 to 104°F (0 to 40°C)
Humidity: 0 - 85%
|Focal Length||18 - 55mm|
|Minimum Focus Distance||0.25m|
|Number of Lens Groups||11|