A Micro Four Thirds lens with a not-so-micro zoom range, the Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f/4-6.3 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. Lens from Panasonic offers a truly expansive 200-800mm equivalent focal length range, yet retains a relatively compact stature to suit the Micro Four Thirds system. Characterised by its Leica branding, this sophisticated optic employs aspherical and extra-low dispersion elements to significantly reduce chromatic and spherical aberrations throughout the zoom range for a high degree of image clarity and sharpness. Also benefitting image sharpness, a POWER O.I.S. system, which is compatible with Lumix G camera's Dual I.S. function, helps to minimise the appearance of camera shake for sharper handheld shooting at longer focal lengths.
Benefitting both stills shooting and video recording, a 240 fps high-speed AF motor is both quiet and precise, and a focus limiter function can be employed to constrain the focusing range for even quicker performance. Additionally, the physical design of the lens utilises a gapless construction that renders it both dust- and moisture-resistant for use in inclement conditions. And while its lightweight, compact form factor is suitable for handheld shooting, the 100-400mm f/4-6.3 also features a removable rotating tripod collar for fast switching between horizontal and vertical shooting orientations when working atop a monopod or tripod.
- Telephoto zoom designed for Micro Four Thirds system cameras, this lens offers a 200-800mm equivalent focal length.
- Designed in collaboration with Leica, the 20 elements, 13 groups optical design incorporates one aspherical extra-low dispersion element, one Ultra Extra-Low Dispersion element, and two extra-low dispersion elements. The combination of aspherical and low dispersion elements helps to reduce spherical aberrations and colour fringing throughout the zoom range for improved sharpness, clarity, and colour accuracy.
- POWER O.I.S. mechanism helps to control camera shake for sharper handheld shooting. This system is also compatible with the Dual I.S. function in select Lumix G cameras, which more effectively minimises the appearance of camera shake by using both sensor-shift and lens-shift type stabilisation methods.
- A 240 fps AF motor offers fast, precise, and near-silent focusing performance to benefit both stills shooting and video recording applications.
- Focus Limiter allows you to constrain the focusing range of the lens from its minimum focusing distance to infinity, or from 2 m to infinity.
- The minimum focusing distance is 1.3 m, which pairs with an equivalent maximum magnification of 0.5x to support working with close-up subjects.
- A rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality when working with selective focus and shallow depth of field techniques.
- Gapless construction renders the lens both dust- and moisture-resistant to support photographing in outdoor and harsh environments.
- A quick-shift, two-part rotating tripod collar permits quick switching between horizontal and vertical shooting orientations, and keeps the lens controls in the same place once rotated for more intuitive handling.
- An integrated hide-away lens hood can retract around the lens when not in use, or be deployed to guard against stray light from causing unwanted lens flare and ghosting.
- A zoom ring lock prevents unwanted lens creep from occurring while carrying the lens.
- Dedicated levers are available to select the Focus Limiter position, AF or MF focusing methods, or to deactivate the lens-based POWER O.I.S.
|Focal Length||100 - 400mm|
Comparable 35mm Focal Length: 200 - 800 mm
|Aperture||Maximum: f/4 - 6.3|
|Camera Mount Type||Micro Four Thirds|
|Format Compatibility||Micro Four Thirds|
|Angle of View||12° - 3.1°|
|Minimum Focus Distance||1.3 m|
|Maximum Reproduction Ratio||1:4|
|Elements/Groups||20 / 13|
|Diaphragm Blades||9, Rounded|
|Tripod Collar||Yes Removable - rotating|
|Filter Thread||Front: 72 mm|
|Dimensions (DxL)||Approx. 83 x 171.5 mm|