The Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Camera is an affordable, compact, and lightweight photographic power-house. It features a high-resolution 14.2 MP CMOS sensor along with a feature set that's comprehensive yet easy to navigate - the intuitive onboard learn-as-you grow guide mode allows the photographer to understand what the 3100 can do quickly and easily. Capture beautiful pictures and amazing Full HD 1080p movies with sound and full-time autofocus. Easily capture the action other cameras miss with a fast start up time, split-second shutter release, 3 frames per second shooting and 11-point autofocus. Capture pictures and make movies in near darkness with an ISO range of 100 to 3200 (expandable to 12800-Hi2).
- Compact 3x zoom lens covering the most frequently used focal range of 18 to 55mm.
- Vibration Reduction (VR) minimizes image blur caused by camera shake, enabling sharper pictures, hand-held, at shutter speeds up to three stops slower than would otherwise be possible.
- Optical design, optimized for use with Nikon DX-format D-SLRs for superior performance.
- Hybrid aspherical lens element minimizes various types of lens aberration.
- High-performance Nikon Super Integrated Coating (SIC) offers superior color reproduction, while substantially reducing ghosting and flare.
- Nikon's exclusive Silent Wave Motor (SWM) ensures fast, quiet auto focus operation.
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm opening makes out-of-focus elements appear more natural.
- Close focusing distance to 0.9 feet (0.28 meters) throughout the entire zoom range.
- Separate zoom and focusing rings ensure responsive operation.
14.2 Megapixel DX-format CMOS Image Sensor delivers beautiful photographs and prints well larger than 20 x 30"
- D-Movie - Breathtaking full HD 1080p movies with Sound and Full-time Autofocus Discover the difference a digital SLR makes when shooting movies. A wide selection of Nikon lenses gives you freedom to explore different angles and obtain lovely defocused backgrounds while D3100's advanced imaging system assures outstanding quality.
- Help Function - One-touch Access to In-camera Assistance
When viewing menu items and you don't understand a function, just press the help button. A description of the currently selected item will be displayed while the button is pressed. Release the button and the previous screen appears. A truly handy function that makes it easy for even first-time D-SLR users to operate D3100.
- Easy-To-Use Guide Mode
An enchanting portrait against a softly defocused background, or a radiant couple surrounded by sparkling lights. Taking photos like these is easy with D3100's Guide Mode - in-camera guidance that shows you step-by-step how to change camera settings. Just select a Guide Mode setting that matches the scene then let Guide Mode assist. Not only will you obtain the desired results, you'll understand how you achieved them. Guide Mode even displays sample photos so you'll know what to expect from each setting.
- 18 Guide Mode Shooting Options
Easy Operation: Auto, Close-ups, Landscapes, No flash, Sleeping faces, Portraits, Distant subjects, Moving subjects, Night portrait
Advanced operation: Soften backgrounds, Freeze motion (people), Show water flowing, Bring more into focus, Freeze motion (vehicles)
Use a timer/ quiet shutter: Single frame, Continuous, 10-second self-timer, Quiet shutter release
- Split-second Shutter Response
Eliminates the frustration of shutter delay, capturing moments that other cameras miss.
- Fast 11-point Autofocus System
D3100's precision high-speed autofocus responds immediately to changes in scene or composition, maintaining tack-sharp focus to capture fleeting expressions and fast-moving sports. The all-important central focus point features a cross-type sensor while the new superimposed display achieves a clear, uncluttered viewfinder. Various autofocus modes cover nearly any situation, including auto-area AF that automatically selects the subject on which to focus, and 3D-tracking (11 points) that maintains focus on a subject regardless of changes in composition as long as the shutter-release button is pressed halfway.
- Advanced White Balance Control
The Improved Scene Recognition system offers outstanding auto white balance performance that nearly rivals the precision of the D3s, Nikon's flagship camera. White is reproduced more faithfully while maintaining stable color balance regardless of light source.
- ISO Sensitivity 100-3200
Expandable to ISO 12800 Equivalent delivers exceptional results, even in the most challenging low-light situations.
- Large 3" Monitor: Live View with AF Modes
Live View gives you an intuitive, familiar way to photograph playful pets or children on the move. Just flip a switch and you're ready to go. When Live View is activated and new full-time-servo AF (AF-F) is selected, the camera keeps subjects in focus without having to press the shutter-release button - convenient for photos and movies. There is also new face-priority AF that locks focus on faces, even on people not directly facing the camera. Live View makes D3100 as easy to use as a compact camera.
- AF Mode for Live View and Movie Shooting
- Full-time-servo AF (AF-F): Autofocus automatically begins after Live View is activated, tracking the subject continuously without having to press the shutter-release button.
- Single-servo AF (AF-S): Great for stationary subjects. Focus locks when the shutter-release button is pressed halfway.
- Manual focus (MF): Focus manually.
- AF-area Modes: for Live View and Movies
- Normal-area AF: Offers pinpoint precision when focusing on a small area - ideal when using a tripod.
- Wide-area AF: A good all-round choice for a variety of subjects, both moving and stationary. It is especially well-suited for handheld shooting.
- Face-priority AF: The camera can recognize up to 35 faces at a time then focus on the face that is determined to be nearest. Even if people in the frame move, the camera continues tracking and focusing.
- Subject-tracking AF: D3100 'memorizes' a subject then automatically tracks it even if it moves. Should the subject momentarily leave the frame, the camera starts tracking again once it re-enters. By using this with AF-F (full-time-servo AF) you can also maintain focus on the subject while tracking. This is a great way to photograph active children and pets.
6 Automatic Exposure Scene Modes
Just set the Mode dial to Portrait, Landscape, Child, Sports, Close-up or Night Portrait for stunning results in otherwise challenging conditions.
Scene Auto Selector
D3100 automatically selects the Scene Mode that matches the shooting situation and subject. During Live View shooting with the Mode dial on Auto or Auto (flash off), Scene Auto Selector automatically activates Portrait, Landscape, Close up or Nig