The Tiffen 4 x 4 Black Pro-Mist F/X Filter 1/4 produces diffusion with less highlight and shadow effect than Tiffen's standard Pro-Mist filter. The Black Pro-Mist is known for its soft, pastel approach to portraiture. Highlights do not blow out and there is less of an opening of the shadows while your images will appear brighter and more flattering to your subject. Contrast is reduced but you will not experience a significant glow or flare around your highlights. This filter is part of Tiffen's Hollywood F/X series that was originally created for MPTV use. However, it can be applied to any photographic medium - still or video.
The #1 Black Pro-Mist is the first full step this filter is available in. The image looks even softer with the edge taken off any inherent sharpness of the equipment being used. A pleasing pearlescent glow appears around the highlights. The contrast continues to be minimized.
Tiffen's ColorCore glass is produced through a process that entails permanently laminating the filter material in between two pieces of optical glass that are ground flat to tolerances of a ten-thousandth of an inch, then mounting them in precision aluminium rings.
- Offers all the benefits of the Pro-Mist filter in a more subtle form
- Highlight flares are controlled
- Contrast is lowered, but with less lightening of shadows for a more delicate effect
- The filter offers a delicate effect with contained highlight flare
- Creates a soft light "pastel" effect
- Tiffen filters are manufactured using ColorCore technology, a closely guarded proprietary process that entails permanently laminating the filter material in between two pieces of optical glass that are ground flat to tolerances of a ten-thousandth of an inch, then mounting them in precision metal rings
- The ColorCore process allows Tiffen to control the colour and density of their filters, and the characteristics of special effects filters with much greater accuracy than typical dyed-in-the-mass filters, which usually exhibit colour and density variations