The 52mm Black Pro-Mist F/X 1 Filter from Tiffen produces diffusion with less highlight and shadow effect than Tiffen's standard Pro Mist filter. The Black Pro Mist is known for its soft, pastel approach to portraiture. Highlights do not blow out and there is less of an opening of the shadows while your images will appear brighter and more flattering to your subject. Contrast is reduced but you will not experience a significant glow or flare around your highlights. This filter is part of Tiffen's Hollywood F/X series that was originally created for MPTV use. However, it can be applied to any photographic medium - still or video.
The 1/2 Black Pro Mist is a touch stronger than the 1/4 version. It adds just enough to make the portrait even softer. Contrast continues to be subdued. Highlights are still under control.
Tiffen's ColorCore glass is produced through a process that entails permanently laminating the filter material in between two pieces of optical glass that are ground flat to tolerances of a ten-thousandth of an inch, then mounting them in precision aluminum rings.
- Offers all the benefits of the Pro-Mist filter in a more subtle form
- Highlight flares are controlled
- Contrast is lowered, but with less lightening of shadows for a more delicate effect
- The filter offers a delicate effect with contained highlight flare
- Creates a soft light "pastel" effect
- Tiffen filters are manufactured using ColorCore technology, a closely guarded proprietary process that entails permanently laminating the filter material in between two pieces of optical glass that are ground flat to tolerances of a ten-thousandth of an inch, then mounting them in precision metal rings
- The ColorCore process allows Tiffen to control the color and density of their filters, and the characteristics of special effects filters with much greater accuracy than typical dyed-in-the-mass filters, which usually exhibit color and density variations
- Top Hollywood motion picture studios rely on Tiffen filters for their multimillion-dollar productions Superior quality and design make Tiffen the overwhelming choice of moviemakers, professional photographers and even NASA
- Tiffen has also been awarded an Emmy, from the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, for its engineering excellence
- Tiffen, a leader in the filter industry, proudly makes its filters in the USA and backs up its products with a solid 10-year warranty