Ultra-High Precision 24-Bit/96 kHz Equalizer, Analyzer, Feedback Destroyer and Mastering Processor
The DEQ2496 is a highprecision digital 24-bit/ 96 kHz EQ/RTA mastering processor, ideal for sophisticated live sound trouble-shooting or audiophile mastering. Whether you’re putting the finishing touches on recorded material or creating an optimal live sound for a multi-way PA, the DEQ2496 is built to provide meticulous control.
Equalization? Dynamics? Feedback correction? Yes, yes, yes. You can have it all with the DEQ2496. Automatic FFT analysis with Auto EQ? We added that too.
The DEQ2496 is a whole rack of flexible equalization, dynamics and time correction functions designed to fix problems and generally optimize sound quality.
- Dual 31-band Graphic Equalizers (stereo linkable)
- Dual 31-band Virtual Paragraphic Equalizers (stereo linkable)
- Dual 10-band Parametric EQ’s per stereo side
- Dynamically-activated EQ
- Feedback Destroyer with Learning Mode
- Stereo Imager
- Digital Delay
- RTA/SPL/FFT Analyzer with Auto EQ function
Dual 31-band Graphic Equalizers, 31-band Virtual Paragraphic Equalizers and 10-band Parametric
Naturally the DEQ2496 has phase-neutral digital graphic EQ…but in addition we’ve added a function that allows you to change the bandwidth of each frequency from standard 1/3 to as much as 59/3. Or, if you prefer the old-school approach to variable bandwidth, we’ve included 10-band parametrics that can be fine-tuned in increments down to 1/60 of an octave.
Dynamic EQ automatically raises or lowers a defined frequency range based on volume level. It’s literally a combination of an equalizer (with frequency center and bandwidth controls) and a dynamics processor (with ATTACK, RELEASE, THRESHOLD and RATIO parameters). DEQ opens up a world of both creative mastering and PA problem solving possibilities. We’ve given you total control with multiple filter types including bandpass mode. And of course you can store DEQ settings for recall at any time manually or via MIDI.
Feedback Destroyer with Learning Mode
With the digital capabilities we’ve just listed, it’s easy to see why we were able to include a highly-effective Feedback Destroyer (FBD) feature — it’s essentially a dynamicallyactivated parametric EQ that “watches” the whole frequency spectrum in 1/60-octave bands and then instantly identifies and notches out feedback. FBD can be run in AUTO mode to compensate for movements of performers on stage, or in SNGLE mode that locks onto individual frequencies and then varies the amount of attenuation and bandwidth depending on feedback stimulus — more suited to fixed microphone installations. We also included a LEARN mode that generates short audio pulses, raises their gain until feedback occurs and then locks into potential trouble-causing band centers.
Stereo Imager (WIDTH)
While usually considered a mastering technique, the ability to widen the stereo image can be useful in live sound work, too. When you hear it in action, we think you and your audience will be impressed. The DEQ2496 WIDTH processor provides control over STEREOWIDTH (how clearly the two sides of the stereo image are separated from each other), ASYMMETRY (relative volume of left/right stereo signal), ROTATION (panning of stereo + mono in the stereo image), and a multipart SHUFFLE function than can generate an additional low-frequency Stereowidth effect.
Compressor/Expander and Limiter
The DEQ2496 has a comprehensive set of dynamics processing tools that can be used as two independent channels or stereo linked. Everything you’d find on a dedicated compressor/ expander is here including variable rations from 1:1.1 to 1:100, ATTACK times from 0 to 200ms, 0-3dB variable knee and 20 to 4000ms RELEASE, all adjustable from a coarse/fine adjustment scale. The built-in separate LIMITER has Threshold, Hold and Release functions.
You can delay either the DEQ2496’s Main or AUX outputs anywhere from 0 to 300ms and can process left and right channels independently. Not only can you specify time delay in feet or meters but simultaneously compensate for ambient temperature which affects sound speed!
RTA/SPL/FFT Analyzer with Auto EQ function
The DEQ2496 features an FFT real time analyzer for precise graphic display of 61 frequency bands. You can monitor main or digital inputs and outputs, AUX/ digital out or a feed from an RTA microphone and display the results in a multitude of ways including funky retro VU meters. You get all of the usual peak/hold, display rate and scale features you would expect from a professional measurement tool, plus our user-definable AEQ (Auto EQ function), which allows you to analyze and adjust your system’s frequency response automatically (perfect for “roughing out” initial room adjustments). In Graphic EQ mode, you can choose between UNCORRECTED response, which shows the mutual influence of adjacent bands, or select TRUE response to apply a specially developed algorithm that displays the actual results of the equalizer setting.
Easy to set up and use
The DEQ2496 has balanced inputs and servo balanced outputs with gold-plated XLR connectors, stereo aux output, AES/EBU and S/ PDIF inputs and XLR and optical output. Configuration is intuitive, with on-screen block diagram displays and you get a separate RTA mic/line input with phantom power, a professional wordclock input and MIDI connections for full remote control, as well as preset dumps and system updates. You can maintain up to 64 comprehensive user presets at a time and of course dump and load as needed. You can also save and recall individual modules such as DEQ, PEQ, WIDTH or DYN. These subsets of complete presets let you maintain most of a preset’s settings but vary a few (such as graphic EQ) without having to generate a whole new preset.
Built tough for the road, precise for the studio
The DEQ2496 features high-quality 24-bit/96 kHz A/D and D/A converters and two high-performance 32/40-bit floating-point digital signal processors for incredible sonic resolution and 113 dB dynamic range. The internal switch-mode power supply assures maximum flexibility (100-240V~), noise-free audio, superior transient response, lowest possible power consumption and freedom from power surge damage.
- Ultra-high resolution 24-bit/96 kHz mastering processor featuring 32/40-bit floating-point DSP technology
- Audiophile 24-bit/96 kHz A/D- and D/A converters offering 113 dB dynamic range
- 4 concurrently selectable EQ modules (31-band graphic EQ, 10-band parametric EQ, Feedback Destroyer plus 3 Dynamic EQs per stereo channel)
- Ultra-high resolution 61-band real-time FFT analyzer with additional auto EQ function for room and loudspeaker equalization
- Unique VPQ (Virtual Paragraphic EQ) option allows parametric control of graphic EQs
- State-of-the-art compressor/expander with peak limiter per stereo channel, additional stereo imager and stereo delay for delay line applications
- Multi-functional level meters (peak/RMS, VU and SPL meter with dBA/dBC weighting via RTA/Mic input)
- 64 user memories for complete setups and/or individual module configurations
- Separate mic/line input with phantom power for RTA and Auto-EQ applications
- Balanced inputs and servo-balanced outputs with gold-plated XLR connectors, stereo aux output, AES/EBU and S/PDIF inputs and outputs (XLR and optical)
- Professional Wordclock input and MIDI connections for full remote control, preset dumps and system updates
- Open architecture allowing future software updates via MIDI
- "Planet Earth" switching power supply for maximum flexibility (100 - 240 V~), noise-free audio, superior transient response + low power consumption for energy saving
- High-quality components & exceptionally rugged construction ensure long life