The Nikon D5000 (Body Only) digital SLR incorporates numerous pro-quality imaging technologies normally found in pricier Nikon DSLRs in a smaller, less-expensive Nikon DX-format camera body. Key among these features are the same 12.9 megapixel CMOS sensor found in the Nikon D90, High-Definition video capture (with sound), a 2.7" variable-angle LCD, Live View for composing stills or video from most any point-of-view, an 11-point autofocus system with Focus Tracking, and 3D Color Matrix II metering.
- Compact 3x zoom lens covering the most frequently used focal range of 18 to 55mm.
- Vibration Reduction (VR) minimizes image blur caused by camera shake, enabling sharper pictures, hand-held, at shutter speeds up to three stops slower than would otherwise be possible.
- Optical design, optimized for use with Nikon DX-format D-SLRs for superior performance.
- Hybrid aspherical lens element minimizes various types of lens aberration.
- High-performance Nikon Super Integrated Coating (SIC) offers superior color reproduction, while substantially reducing ghosting and flare.
- Nikon's exclusive Silent Wave Motor (SWM) ensures fast, quiet auto focus operation.
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm opening makes out-of-focus elements appear more natural.
- Close focusing distance to 0.9 feet (0.28 meters) throughout the entire zoom range.
- Separate zoom and focusing rings ensure responsive operation.
- Versatile and compact 3.6x Zoom nikon brings the action to the photographer. Ideal for portraiture, family, sports, nature and wildlife.
- Nikon's VR (Vibration Reduction) reduces the effects of camera shake, allowing hand-held shooting at up to 3 shutter speeds slower than would be possible for dramatically sharper images.
- An ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass element minimizes chromatic aberration, contributing to superior optical performance.
- New compact rod-type Silent Wave Motor (SW) enables ultra-high speed auto focusing with exceptional accuracy and super-quiet operation.
12.3Mp DX-format CMOS image sensor
High-resolution imaging sensor for sharp images and the ability to output poster-size prints
**HD 720p Video Capture with D-Movie Mode
Capture high-definition video imaging with sound using the creative options afforded by Nikon lenses. Video clips can be recorded at 1280 x 720, 640 x 424, or 320 x 216 @ 24fps. The D-Movie mode optimizes highlight and shadow details for incredible detail and tonal quality
The Nikon D5000 is the first Nikon DSLR to offer a Vari-angle, 230,000-dot color LCD that allows you to compose still and video images from most any angle and shooting position
Live View mode enables you to view and compose images through-the-lens in real-time using the camera's 2.7" Vari-angle LCD
19 Auto-exposure Scene Modes
Choose among 19 pre-set exposure modes designed to deliver optimum perfect exposures under a variety of common shooting situations
Advanced Auto-Focus Modes
The Nikon D5000 incorporates an 11-point AF system with Nikon 3D Focus Tracking and advanced Face Detection to ensure the sharpest possible pictures
Low-noise ISO sensitivity
Low-noise images can be captured under the most challenging of lighting conditions at ISO ratings ranging from a native 200 through 3200, and can be expanded from 100 through 6400 when needed
In-Camera Image Editing
Highlight and shadow details, as well as red-eye reduction, image overlaying, distortion controls, and other tonal adjustments can be performed in-camera, which eliminates the need for many post-capture image adjustments
Advanced Dust Removal Systems
The Nikon D5000 incorporates a 3-tier dust removal system including Image Dust-Off reference data using Nikon Capture NX2 software (optional) to best ensure clean, dust-free photographs
You can tag your images with precise GPS coordinates when using the Nikon GP-1 GPS unit (optional)
SD Memory Card
Capable of sustained read/write speeds of 20MB per second, this 4GB Lexar Professional card speeds up capture times, improves download times, and gives you faster recycle time, so you spend less time waiting between shots. This card is the ideal all-in-one solution to your storage needs.
The Nikon D5000 is optimized for use with all AF-S and AF-I Nikon lenses and works with select functionality when used with Nikon Type G, D, AI-P, and non-CPU-series optics.